AB 2054 Faces Opposition: Please Support Summer EBT!
6.29.20168.4.2016 Until now, AB 2054 (Thurmond) - Summer EBT for Children, has garnered unanimous support from inside and outside the Legislature. Thank you to everyone who has moved this bill forward! Now AB 2054 faces its toughest hurdle -- and opposition is mounting. Please help us get the bill off of suspense and through the Senate Appropriations Committee. Tell California leaders to fight summer hunger: our kids need year-round access to nutritious food.
What You Can Do Right Now
1) Letter of Support - If you haven't submitted a letter of support please do so today! Download a customizable letter of support and instructions about sending your letter. doc
2) Emails and phone calls - Make a quick and easy phone call to Senator Lara, Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee -- or send him a short email. A sample script is below.
"Hello. My name is ____________ and I live in ______________, CA. I am calling/writing to ask for Senator Lara's support of AB 2054, the Summer EBT for Children bill. AB 2054 is currently on suspense in Senate Appropriations. The Senator's "aye" vote will help fight child hunger and bring federal dollars back to California communities. Thank you."
3) Tweet - express your support for AB 2054 through social media. Sample tweets are below.
- World's 6th largest economy & the nation's worst child poverty rate? #AB2054 will fight child hunger in CA. @senricardolara @CAFoodPolicy
- Support #AB2054 - it's time to fight hunger & poverty for CA kids! @senricardolara @TonyThurmond @CAFoodPolicy
- Bring federal funds back to CA: support #AB2054 to prevent childhood hunger @senricardolara @TonyThurmond @CAFoodPolicy
- All kids deserve healthy food to learn, grow & achieve. Support #AB2054: Summer EBT for CA! @senricardolara @TonyThurmond @CAFoodPolicy
Have questions? Please contact Tia Shimada at 510.433.1122 ext. 109 or firstname.lastname@example.org.