AB 2054 Continues Its Unanimous Run
6.29.2016 Yesterday, AB 2054 (Thurmond) -- Summer EBT for Children, passed out of the Senate Human Services Committee with a unanimous, bipartisan vote.
What's Next? The next test for AB 2054 will be the Senate Appropriations Committee. This is a critical juncture for the bill -- we need your continued support to move forward!
What You Can Do (1) Submit a letter of support to Senator Ricardo Lara, Chair, Senate Appropriations Committee. You can download a customizable letter of support and instructions for submitting your letter. doc
(2) Tweet your support for AB 2054. Sample tweets are included below.
- World's 6th largest economy & the nation's worst child poverty rate? #AB2054 will fight child hunger in CA. @senricardolara @CAFoodPolicy
- Support #AB2054 - it's time to fight hunger and poverty for CA kids! @senricardolara @SenatorPatBates @CAFoodPolicy
- Bring federal funds back into CA: support #AB2054 to prevent childhood hunger @senricardolara @SenatorPatBates @CAFoodPolicy
- All kids deserve healthy food to learn, grow & achieve. Support #AB2054: Summer EBT for CA! @senricardolara @SenatorPatBates @CAFoodPolicy
- TY @TonyThurmond @ilike_mike for supporting #AB2054 to fight child hunger with Summer EBT. @senricardolara @SenatorPatBates @CAFoodPolicy
(3) Learn more about summer hunger in your community. Access county-level data and read CFPA's latest report on the summer nutrition gap in California. link
The Details AB 2054 will help fight child hunger by preparing California to implement federally funded Summer EBT for Children. The bill would require the state to (1) pursue all available federal funding and authority to operate a system that will deliver Summer EBT for Children to eligible families and (2) prepare to establish such a system. Amendments were taken to ensure that the California Health and Human Services Agency designates the appropriate state agency or agencies to acts to fulfill these requirements.