AB 1240: Building Momentum for Breakfast After the Bell
6.5.2015 Last Thursday, AB 1240, Breakfast After the Bell, was held in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. That disappointing decision means the bill will not proceed further this year. CFPA is already hard at work planning a renewed state policy push. We know that increasing access to school breakfast is a win for students, schools, and the California economy. We also know that statewide policy change is the best way to bring school breakfast to kids in every corner of California -- and we're not alone!
- More than 25 partner organizations and 750 individuals signed on in support of AB 1240.
- EdSource reported this thorough coverage of the bill shortly after it was introduced. PDF
- Nearly two dozen news outlets in Southern California and the Bay Area published an op-ed penned by Assemblymember Bonta and actor Jeff Bridges in support of AB 1240. PDF
- The Sacramento Bee also declared its support for the bill in a May editorial. PDF
- As reported by the Los Angeles Times, a 2015 Field Poll showed a strong majority of registered California voters support Breakfast After the Bell. PDF
- A bi-partisan vote of support in the Assembly Education Committee confirmed that AB 1240 is a smart proposal for California students and schools. link
- Despite the bill being held in Appropriations (the Assembly's fiscal committee), an analysis from Blue Sky Consulting shows the positive impact that expanding school breakfast would have on the California economy and the State General Fund. PDF
- Tim Gage, former director of finance for California and the principal and co-founder of Blue Sky Consulting, expressed his fiscally-driven support for expanding school breakfast in a recent op-ed published by the Sacramento Bee. PDF
California voters, fiscal experts, the editorial board of the Sacramento Bee, the Assembly Education Committee, and a host of local and statewide anti-hunger, health, and education organizations stand behind AB 1240. We'll carry this momentum forward as we work to ensure that California kids have the nutritious breakfasts they need to learn, grow, and achieve at their fullest potential. Thank you for your support of AB 1240 and expect to hear more from us soon!
Learn more by visiting CFPA's AB 1240 page.
Questions? Contact Tia Shimada at 510.433.1122 ext. 109 or email@example.com