About theÂ Water and Access Convening 2016
What is the Water Access and Quality Convening?
The Water Access and Quality Convening will bring together a diverse group of organizations and stakeholders interested in improving water access and quality for children and communities in California. The event will highlight recent policy efforts and strategies being employed to increase the consumption and availability of water in schools, community settings and federal nutrition programs.
The convening will be a great opportunity to:
- Learn about water access in California;
- Hear new research focused on water access and quality issues;
- Network with other organizations focused on advancing policy and programmatic solutions to support the human right to water in California
Who should attend?
- In 2013, California became the first state to recognize that every human being has the right to safe, clean, affordable, and accessible water adequate for human consumption, cooking, and sanitary purposes
- The research is clear â€” safe drinking water is vital to our health and overall wellbeing.
- Experts are increasingly pointing to the role of sugary drinks, like sodas, sports drinks, and sweet teas, as a primary driver of the obesity epidemic. Many agree that increased water consumption is a key anti-obesity tactic to support good health.
- Community and statewide improvements to the beverage environment are key to helping Californians make healthier choices.
Organizations and individuals interested in:
How much does the convening cost?
- Learning more about water access and policy and their impact on student health and academic achievement.
- Water advocacy and ways to support policy change to improve the consumption, availability, and quality of water
- Taking action to improve the health and well-being of students, their families and the community.
- Networking with other organizations in Northern California.
- Water equity and supporting the Human Right to Water.
This convening is free of charge and lunch will be provided! Please RSVP by July 15th, 2016 link
Where can I learn more about water and policy?
Attend the convening!
Looking for online resources? We suggest the following:
- CFPAâ€™s Water Page. link
- CFPA's Water in Schools Website. link
The Water Access and Quality Convening is hosted by California Food Policy Advocates
(CFPA), with generous support from Kaiser Permanente Community Benefits Program, Northern California